How Important is marijuana potency?
For someone new to the drug, it may men exposure to higher concentrations of THC, with a a greater chance of a negative or unpredictable reaction. For those more experienced with marijuana, it may mean a greater risk for addiction if they are exposing themselves to high doses on a regular basis. However, the full range of consequences linked with marijuana's higher potency is not well understood. It is unknown how much people who use marijuana adjust for the increase in potency by using less.
While using or right after using:
Effects of repeated use:
- risk for chronic cough, bronchitis
- risk of schizophrenia in some people with higher genetic risk
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Decline in IQ (up to 8 points)
- Poor school and/or work performance
- Impaired thinking and ability to learn and perform complex tasks
- Lower life satisfaction
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Potential development of opioid use
- Financial difficulties
- Relationship problems, intimate partner violence
- Decrease in size of the area of the brain responsible for decision-making, impulse control, and learning